[VulnWatch] Re: Opentype font file causes Windows to restart.

From: Tiina Anita Muukkonen (tiinamat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 15:13:11 PST

    quoth Andrew on this day of Our Lord:

    | The attached OpenType font file will cause Windows to restart
    | immediately when the file is opened by the default viewer (fontview).
    | I doubt anyone would suspect a "harmless" little font file of being
    | able to cause such a thing to happen!

     I ran strings over it:

    OTTO
    CFF D@
    eOS/2^^\
    `cmap
    $head
    6hhea
    $hmtx
    maxp
    name
    post
    restarter
    restarter
    NONE
    Copyright 2003. All rights reserved.restarterRegular1.000;NONE;restarterOTF 1.000;PS 001.001;Core 1.0.29Please refer to the Copyright section for the font trademark attribution notices.

     and then entered 'restarter' into Google, which returned information on a
     trojan called restarter that does just that. Sophos and Symantec have
     descriptions of somewhat different versions of the trojan.

     godspeed,

     Tiina Muukkonen
     System Administrator, CSE, UNSW
    --
    "When I was seven, my parents moved to Texas.                   ________
     When I was nine, I found them." Steve Wright         (__)     /        \