[VulnWatch] Efficient Networks 5861 DSL Router

From: Greg Bolshaw (gregat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 03:05:01 PST

    Product:		Efficient Networks 5861 DSL Router
    			http://www.efficient.com/ebz/5800.html
    Tested version:	5.3.80 (Latest firmware)
    Advisory date:	10/01/2003
    Severity:		Moderate

    Background

    "Efficient Networks® Business Class IDSL, ADSL, or SDSL Routers provide DSL
    access for up to 100 or more users with robust firewall and optional Secure
    Virtual Private Network (VPN) capabilities. Efficient Networks® Business
    Class DSL Routers are Business Contingency Plan ready, with features such as
    Dial Backup and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)."

    As far as I am aware, the 5861 is the standard router provided to all ADSL
    business customers in the UK.

    Details

    When using the builtin IP filtering to block incoming TCP SYN flags, a
    simple portscan to the WAN interface of the router will cause the it to lock
    up, and eventually restart.

    This has been tested on two different 5861 routers, both running the above
    firmware version.

    Port scanners used were Nmap (Linux) and SuperScan (Windows)

    Solution

    There is currently no fix for this exploit.  I have contacted Efficient
    Networks to inform them of the problem.