[Full-Disclosure] RE: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!

From: Greg A. Woods (woodsat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 19:11:08 PST

    [ On Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 18:11:12 (-0500), Richard M. Smith wrote: ]
    > Subject: RE: MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!
    >
    > However, this worm might not be so harmless as it appears because of
    > collateral damage:
    >
    >    Bank of America ATMs Disrupted by Virus
    >
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=578&e=3&cid=569&u=/nm/2
    > 0030125/tc_nm/tech_virus_dc
    >
    >    "SEATTLE (Reuters) - Bank of America Corp. said on
    >    Saturday that customers at a majority of its 13,000
    >    automatic teller machines were unable to process
    >    customer transactions after a malicious computer worm
    >    nearly froze Internet traffic worldwide."

    I'm wondering more if maybe BofA had a bunch of their own unpatched and
    un-firewalled M$-SQL servers sitting around like lame ducks waiting to
    be picked off.....

    Of course even if they were patched they'd be pretty much off the air if
    they weren't running through a (V)PN by the time ISPs got around to
    blocking their access....

    --
    								Greg A. Woods

    +1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woodsat_private>;           <woodsat_private>
    Planix, Inc. <woodsat_private>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woodsat_private>
    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html