Re: Epic Games threatens to sue security researchers

From: Mark Rein (mreinat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 11:31:35 PST

    Thor,

    I have sent your company an apology for those completely unfortunate
    comments that I sincerely regret. We did provide an official statement
    and I was not, at the time, aware that my verbal reaction, in a moment of
    shock and surprise, was being captured for the article.

    The comment was a complete over-reaction to seeing the list of games
    including future games that have not yet been published. It had nothing
    to do with the security issues themselves, the validity of the report, or
    the way Pivx presented it to us. Pivx gave us more than fair enough
    warning of the bugs and we simply failed to fix them in the allotted
    time. We released a statement last week to the Unreal community
    indicating that "we fucked up" in not addressing these concerns within
    the given time and that we were already testing a patch with the security
    issues corrected. In addition the official statement we gave pointed out
    that we were fixing the holes and that the Pivx report was fair and
    accurate. Licensees were already provided with the source code for the
    security fixes.

    Again this was a moment-of-stupidity reaction and I sincerely apologize
    to Pivx and the entire security community. Epic has already stated that
    we will take these matters far more seriously in the future.

    Mark Rein,
    Epic Games Inc.

    Visit us at http://www.epicgames.com