Re: New HP Jetdirect SNMP password vulnerability when using Web JetAdmin

From: Mike Kristovich (mkristovichat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 09:18:43 PST

    Sven,

        Unfortunately, if you do a scan of a few subnets, you're bound to find
    quite a bit of open, unpassworded Jetdirect hosts.  If you just scan for
    port 23 and/or port 80, these Jetdirects pop up everywhere.  Most of them
    will not have a password set on them.   You have this defined as #3 on your
    "additional protection" list.  It makes a very good point that most
    administrations don't tend to pay attention to.  This is a known issue, but
    it still exists worldwide.  The information provided will hopefully remind a
    good number of people to go ahead and set the password now, before somebody
    else does.

        As you will see in the examples below, you can compromise an HP
    Jetdirect via telnet quite easily.  If the password is disabled (as it is on
    most), you'll have instant administrative access.  A similar interface can
    be found on port 80 (WWW), but is java-driven almost entirely.  Take a look
    at the examples below to see how easily you can compromise via telnet.

     Telnetting to port 23 will give you the following:
    -------------------

    HP JetDirect

    Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings

    -------------------

    Typing "/" will give you the following:

       ===JetDirect Telnet Configuration===
            Firmware Rev.   : G.08.40
            MAC Address     : 00:X0:X0:cX:7X:Xf
            Config By       : USER SPECIFIED

            IP Address      : X.X.X.X
            Subnet Mask     : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway : X.X.X.X
            Syslog Server   : Not Specified
            Idle Timeout    : 120 Seconds
            Set Cmnty Name  : Not Specified
            Host Name       : Not Specified

            DHCP Config     : Disabled
    ---> Passwd          : Disabled
            IPX/SPX         : Enabled
            DLC/LLC         : Disabled
            Ethertalk       : Disabled
            Banner page     : Enabled

    -------------------------

    If you type "?" for help, you'll notice this line at the end.

            Type passwd to change the password.

    Type "passwd", and..

            Enter Password[16 character max.; 0 to disable]: >

    You now have complete control of the device, while locking out the "real"
    administrator.

    #3 on the list you provided is extremely important.  Remember to set a
    password, or you're leaving the device open for public administration!

    Thanks,

    Mike Kristovich, Security Researcher
    PivX Solutions, LLC
    http://www.PivX.com