[New Research Paper] Bound by Tradition: A sampling of the security posture of the Internet's DNS servers

From: Mike Schiffman (mikeat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 10:59:25 PST

    Hello. I just put the finishing touches on a whitepaper detailing the
    security posture of the Internet's DNS infrastructure. To wit:

    "DNS servers across the Internet running BIND are not up to date with
    security patches and software updates. As a result, a significant
    fraction of the Internet's DNS servers is vulnerable to compromise,
    subversion, denial of service, and general misuse. Considering that DNS
    is the lynchpin of the corporate enterprise, the impact of these
    vulnerabilities is significant and a successful attack could bring down
    any online business."

    http://www.packetfactory.net/DNS/

    Comments are welcomed; off-list is preferable and I will post a summary.

    Thanks.

    --
    Mike Schiffman, CISSP
    http://www.packetfactory.net/schiffman.html