Re: Sendmail exploit released???

From: zero_latencyat_private
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 14:26:09 PST

    in reference to the cworld article, i would say some1 is kinda confused
    around here.....:)

    The "russian hacker web site" is actually www.security.nnov.ru, a well
    known infosec news and advisory site, not in the business of "producing"
    exploits for the mass.

    They actually made public the advisory from LDS (i would try to confuse a
    polish guy with a russian one ;)
    http://www.security.nnov.ru/search/news.asp?binid=2630

    On my opinion, all this rumors surondin the famous sendmail exploit, are
    not meant to aware and alert ppl about risk but to actually misinform them
    and produce terror (and the involved "necesary?"investment on trying
    to "fix this")

    i also was truly surprised after reading the comments form ppl like
    Ingevaldson from x-force ensuring "analysis of the code shows that it
    works" or Eric Allman saying "...there are other variables that are not
    pointers that have security implications; finding one of them within range
    will be more difficult, but probably not impossible..." (without specify
    what kind of risk he founds behind this).

    The kind of comments that provide companies subjective risk indications,
    are just a tool against ppl trying to be serious about risk management
    security investment.