Re: QPopper 4.0.x buffer overflow vulnerability

From: Harald Hellmuth (hhat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 23:12:47 PST

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:05:51 -0800
    Randall Gellens <rg_public.1at_private> wrote:

    > The first I heard of the problem was this morning.  Was any notice
    > sent to qpopper-bugsat_private or qpopper-patchesat_private in
    > advance of the posting here?  If so, please let me know the details
    > so I can see what happened to the message.  If not, I'd like to know
    > why.
    >
    > A fixed Qpopper (version 4.0.5fc2) is available now at
    > <ftp://ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/servers/unix/popper/beta/>.  I plan on
    > releasing 4.0.5 final tomorrow unless I hear of any problems with
    > 4.0.5fc2.
    >
    > --
    > Randall Gellens
    > rg_public.1at_private
    > Opinions are personal;     facts are suspect;     I speak for myself only

    Hello,

    Yesterday(2003-03-12) I've sent the following email to qpopper-bugsat_private:

    ------------------------------ snip ---------------------------------------
    Dear Sir or Madam,

    Florian Heinz posted an exploit to gain shell access through qpopper.
    See http://nstx.dereference.de/snippets/qex.c.
    The reason is an unterminated bufferstring in Qvsnprintf.

    I looked at version 4.05fc2 and there is a change, but i think that
    change  isn't correct.

    /* From File common/snprintf.c */
    if ( nSize == 0 && *p != '\0' )
        {
            *s = '\0';
            return -1;
        }
        else
            return ( (n-1) - nSize );

    /* when string that should be written to the buffer fits exactly,
     * than there will  no Zero-Byte be written to buffer, cause the for
     * loop terminates when nSize is 0 and the terminating '\0' of p is not
     * copied to buffer ;-(
    */

    Ithink, it should be written as :

    if ( nSize || *p=='\0')