Re: BEA WebLogic internal hostname disclosure

From: Kurt Seifried (kurtat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 01:00:37 PST

    > Hi,
    >
    > During a penentration test, I discovered that the BEA Weblogic Server
    > reveals it hostname (on windows machines NetBIOS name) while sending the
    > following request:
    >
    > GET . HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n
    >
    > On older systems (Weblogic 7.0), a simple "BLAH . BLAH\r\n\r\n" will do
    > the same trick.  BEA was contacted about two weeks ago, but I haven't
    > heard from them (yet).
    >
    > Regards,
    > Michael

    Reveals hostname:
    ./
    .//
    .//////////////
    .%20
    .%20%20
    ..

    Does not reveal hostname:
    .a
    .1
    .\
    .%21

    Seems that a single "." or a "." followed by a "special" character such as
    "/" or %20 (space) works. Don't know what other "special" characters work.

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    http://seifried.org/security/