bitchx sources backdoored on distribution site

From: Micha³ Szwaczko (mikeyat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 17:45:17 PDT

    Hi,

    Can anyone verify that the bitchx 1.0c19 sources are backdoored.
    The configure script contains the following code which I think is a shell daemon.
    Perhaps I am making fool of myself right now since I am not a security guru but this looks weird.
    Can you verify ?

    If this is true, then the host that will get the shell is smtp.wia.com which is an alias of
    ftp2.bitchx.org.

    Attached is the code fragment I found in configure
    What do you think ?

    ps. after having run configure the code fragment disappears from the script.

    --
    Micha³ 'Mikey' Szwaczko
    Developer/Troubleshooter

    You're using a keyboard!  How quaint!