eServ Memory Leak Solution

From: mattmurphyat_private
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 09:38:00 PDT

    After discussion with Andrey Cherezov, the cause and solution of the eServ
    memory "leak" has been identified.  Delayed de-allocation associated with
    thread creation and destruction caused the issue.  eServ 2.9x was
    vulnerable to my attacks because during the delay (up to a few minutes), it
    continued spawning threads, resulting in a denial of service.  eServ 3.0
    uses a new acTCP kernel to improve service.  Specifically, it does not
    create new threads beyond its maximum connection queue.  The delay
    condition still exists, but cannot be exploited to cause major memory loss.
    I recommend that eServ 2.9x users contact the vendor about upgrading as
    appropriate.

    eServ has had one other vulnerability, a buffer overrun in its virtual host
    support.  Stating that eServ has a "horrible security record" was perhaps a
    horrible overstatement on my part. :-)

    There have been other vulnerabilities in products un-related to eServ,
    which were developed on the same kernel.  Specifically, acFTP's
    authentication logging bug, and the acFreeProxy XSS, which I have been
    informed was the result of a configuration error.

    I was also informed during discussions with the developer that the reason
    my e-mail was not replied to immediately was because of Russia's day of
    victory celebrations, and not due to negligence.

    http://mail2web.com/ .