More and More SQL injection on PHP-Nuke 6.5.

From: Albert Puigsech Galicia (ripeat_private)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 14:29:17 PDT

    |                             7 A 6 9 - A d v                          C: 011
    |
    |                        [ PHP-Nuke SQL injection ]

    \-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/
                                                                    | 13/05/2003 |
                                                                    \------------/

    Data.
    ------

            + Tipy:         SQL injection.

            + Software:     PHP-Nuke

            + Verions:     6.x (including 6.5) y 5.x

            + Exploit:      Yes

            + Author:        Albert Puigsech Galicia

            + Contact:     ripeat_private

    Introduction.
    -------------

            PhpNuke is a well known content management system programed
    in PHP by Francisco Bucci, a lot of people use it because it is very
    easy to install and manage.

    Descriptión.
    ------------

            The PHP-Nuke's file download module includes SQL injection features
    (as usual). The web user may be able to insert his own SQL code in most of
    the numeric values included in querys, because the plugin coder didn't use
    inverted comas.

    Explotation.
    ------------

            If the SQL agent allow us to use an UNION sentence (like MySQL 4
    does) it is possible to extract information about anything inside the
    database, of course this includes passwords, personal data, etc. Otherwise,
    without UNION posibility we can't access to other SQL tables that web links
    management, so the only posiblity is to play with hits and votes.

            Some examples:

            [*] On getit function:

    ---
        sql_query("update ".$prefix."_downloads_downloads set hits=hits+1 WHERE
    lid=$lid", $dbi);
            $result = sql_query("SELECT url FROM ".$prefix."_downloads_downloads
    WHERE lid=$lid", $dbi);
    ---

    http://www.caxa.ru/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=2%20>

            [*] On search function:

    ---
        $result = sql_query("SELECT lid, cid, title, url, description, date, hits,
    downloadratingsummary, totalvotes, totalcomments, filesize, version, homepage
    FROM ".$prefix."_downloads_downloads WHERE title LIKE '%$query%' OR
    description LIKE '%$query%' ORDER BY $orderby LIMIT $min,$downloadsresults",
    $dbi);
    ---

    http://www.caxa.ru/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=search&min=2%20>

    	[*] Vim index.php... There are a lot.

    Patch.
    -------

            There is no patch for this vulnerability. But is easy to add inverted
    comas on all numeric values.

    Notes.
    ------

            I realy sorprised about PHP-Nuke usage. I can't understand that a
    software with PHP-Nuke's security historial may be used. Lot of
    vulnerabilty have been discovered on this software in last months, and there
    are more bug.

    	Recomandation for PHP-Nuke users: Migrate!

    	The are a lot of CMS coded with security in mind, slashcode, scoop (writen in
    perl), postnuke, xsphpcms(nice) (wrinten in php).... and more.

    --
      Albert Puigsech Galicia

     http://ripe.7a69ezine.org