Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: IRCXpro 1.0 - Clear local and default remote admin passwords

From: morning_wood (se_cur_ityat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 10:33:20 PDT

    Scenario of a remote compromise via IRCXpro cleartext passwords.

    System: NT / Win2k
    Small Lan Toploogy

    System A. = webserver
    System B = ircd

    System A is connected to net running bigsite.com
    System A is compromized with a lowlevel password / user alowing file read
    access
    Attacker uses lan to read cleartext passwords in settings.ini
    ALL ACCOUNTS NOW COMPROMIZED.

    need there be more?
    as an addendun
    If you previously used IRCXplus ( little brother ) old passwords are stored
    at
    HKEY_USERS\*\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\IRCplus\Remote

    there is no excuse for a plaintext passsword in an .ini file period. Any
    computer with multiple users is vunerable to password discovery and
    disclosure. hint - hash yer pass

    Donnie Werner
    http://exploitlabs.com