[FTP Voyager] File List Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

From: :: Operash :: (nesuminat_private)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 20:19:41 PDT

    SUMMARY        : [FTP Voyager] File List Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
    PRODUCT        : FTP Voyager
    VERSIONS       : 9.1.0.3
                     10.0.0.0
    VENDOR         : Rhino Software (http://www.rhinosoft.com/)
    SEVERITY       : Critical.
                     Code Execution.
    DISCOVERED BY  : nesumin
    AUTHOR         : :: Operash ::
    REPORTED DATE  : 2003-05-07
    RELEASED DATE  : 2003-06-09

    0. PRODUCTS
    =============

      FTP Voyager is a GUI base FTP Client for Windows.
      Rhino Software (http://www.rhinosoft.com/)

    1. DESCRIPTION
    ================

      The buffer overflow occurs on the stack area if a file list that
      contains a long line is returned from a server.
      By exploiting this vulnerability, an attacker can execute an arbitrary
      code on a user's system if the user connects to a malicious server.

      With this vulnerability, there could be following risks;

      * Infection with Virus or Trojan, etc.
      * Destruction of the system.
      * Leak or alteration of the local data.

    2. SYSTEMS AFFECTED
    =====================

      FTP Voyager  9.1.0.3
      FTP Voyager 10.0.0.0

      And previous versions may have same vulnerabilities.

    3. SYSTEMS NOT AFFECTED
    =========================

      FTP Voyager 10.0.0.1

    4. EXAMINES
    =============

      Tested versions :
        FTP Voyager  9.1.0.3
        FTP Voyager 10.0.0.0
        FTP Voyager 10.0.0.1

      Tested platforms :
        Windows 98SE Japanese
        Windows 2000 Professional SP3 Japanese

    5. VENDOR STATUS
    ==================

      2003-05-23  Vendor released fixed-version (10.0.0.1).

    6. SOLUTION
    =============

      Upgrade to version 10.0.0.1  or later version.

    7. TECHNICAL DETAILS
    ======================

      FTP Voyager requests a file list to a server using "LIST" command
      or etc when it's connected to the server.
      And then, if the returned file list (except the filename, including
      file extensions) contains, the buffer overflow would occur on
      the stack area.

      Example:

        -r-xr-xr-x 1 owner group AAAAA...(over 0x270 bytes)... Feb 1 00:00 Filename.ext

      If a saved Structured Exception Handler is overwritten with
      the address of buffer that has an arbitrary code or the address
      of instruction data that redirects to there, the processing path
      moves to that buffer.

      Therefore, it is able to execute an arbitrary code as the privilege
      of FTP Voyager process.

      Each offsets of the Structured Exception Handler are different from
      others by a part of the list.

    8. SAMPLE CODE
    ================

      None release.

    9. TIME TABLE
    ===============

      2003-04-20  Discovered this vulnerability.
      2003-05-07  Reported to vendor.
      2003-05-07  Received a reply from vendor.
      2003-05-08  Received a fixed-version(1) from vendor.
      2003-05-08  Found a problem still left, reported it to vendor.
      2003-05-09  Received a fixed-version(2) from vendor.
      2003-05-09  Conveyed to vendor that the fix has been done.
      2003-05-23  Vendor released fixed-version.
      2003-06-09  Released this advisory.

    10. DISCLAIMER
    ===============

      A. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of all statements in this information.
      B. We do not anticipate issuing updated versions of this information
         unless there is some material change in the facts.
      C. And we will take no responsibility for any kinds of disadvantages by
         using this information.
      D. You can quote this advisory without our permission if you keep the following;
         a. Do not distort this advisory's content.
         b. A quoted place should be a medium on the Internet.
      E. If you have any questions, please contact to us.

      * Exception

         We strictly forbid 'Secunia' (http://www.secunia.com/) to republish or
         redistribute our advisory.

    11. CONTACT, ETC