XSS in OWA allows stealing windows domain user credentials

From: Hugo (overclocking_a_la_abuelaat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 13:14:00 PDT

    -2 vulnerabilities in OWA.
    -Vendor contacted

    Microsoft Outlook Web Access comes with a feature that
    allows script filtering on HTML formatted mail
    attachments.It is possible for an attacker to make a
    request in a particular way so that OWA does not filter
    the attachment causing the script to execute. Be aware
    that this is not the same issue of bid 3650 nor
    bid 2832... In those attack scenarios the trick seemed
    to be a special obfuscated script code that would
    bypass the filtering protection of the OWA.

    Our attack is based on the fact that it is possible to
    force the OWA to not  apply it's filtering engine.
    Microsoft OWA allows the user to view an HTML formatted
    attachment. The URL to access the attachment in this
    way has a parameter (Security) that, if not
    present in the query, will completely disable any kind
    of script filtering. An attacker can trick an OWA user
    to make such kind of request with a malicious link in
    the body of the message (links are allowed). The
    attacker needs to know the IP or the host name of the
    Exchange server in order to succefully construct the
    link, but all the info the attacker needs can easily be
    obatined in te "Referer" header of an HTTP request from
    a link in the message body of the vitim. So the attack
    procedure will be:

    1) a link in message body making a request to the
    attacker's box will provide
    him the info (in the referer) of the name/ip, etc of
    the Exchange.
    2) a link in the body of a new message will do the job
    of calling for an
    attachment without the script filtering feature.

    Note: this attack is similar to our "XSS Antivirus
    Bypass" of Hotmail:
    http://www.infohacking.com/INFOHACKING_RESEARCH/Our_Advisories/Hotmail/index.htm

    Bad news are not the XSS, although it provides mail
    access, session hijacking,etc... Bad news are that the
    Cross Site Scripting present in the OWA allows the
    attacker to automatically obtain the domain name,
    username and password in of the victim.

    The session tracking in the OWA uses cookies and "Basic
    Auth", we do not know if there's also any kind of IP
    tracking.
    The Basic Auth string is the name of the domain, the
    username and password base64 encoded...so it is trivial
    to decode it.How a to retrieve this info?
    The OWA is over an Internet Information Server, wich,
    by default, allows "TRACE" method in HTTP requests :-)

    A javascript using ActiveX or extended XML can do a
    TRACE http request, and send the response (wich has the
    "Basic Auth" header content) to the attacker.

    So it's important to notice that we are talking of 2
    vulnerabilities:

    1) Javascript filtering bypass
    2) User domain credentials retrieval

    User domain credentials can not be encoded in this way
    (base64)!!!

    This practice is very dangerous, and any future Cross
    Site Scripting in the OWA could be used to access those
    credentials.

    Soon we will provide a proof of concept exploit to show
    how this two vulnerabilities can be exploited toghether
    easily.

    Hugo Vázquez Caramés & Toni Cortés Martínez
    Infohacking Team
    http://www.infohacking.com