Windows Update - Unsafe ActiveX control

From: Siddhartha Jain(IT) (SiddharthaJat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 22:37:18 PDT

    Hello,

    I just tried to download the latest Microsoft security update by using the
    Windows update utility in Internet Explorer. However, I could not do so
    because I had disabled all ActiveX controls in the security settings (after
    reading a terrifying paper on ActiveX security).

    After this I enabled "Download Signed ActiveX Controls" and "Run ActiveX
    controls and plugins". I ran the Windows update utility again and got this
    message:
    "An ActiveX control on this page is not safe. Your current security settings
    prohibit running unsafe controls on this page. As a result, this page may
    not display as intended."

    After I clicked "Ok", I got the error message that this utility is to run by
    "Administrators Only".

    I am running Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP4 and IE 6.0.2800.1106 SP1
    Q818529.

    So Microsoft expects me download critical patches using an unsafe ActiveX
    control??

    Regards,

    Siddhartha Jain

    "This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be
    privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended named recipient
    of this email then you should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor
    disclose its contents to any other person which is strictly prohibited and unlawful"