question about oracle advisory

From: Tina Bird (tbird@precision-guesswork.com)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 12:59:20 PDT

    Oracle's released three security-related patches today.  I'm trying to
    get my head around them to write up a Stanford Security Alert, but
    there's conflicting information.  According to
    http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/pdf/2003alert57.pdf the buffer
    overflow in the EXTPROC code can only be triggered by an authenticated
    user with the CREATE LIBRARY or CREATE ANY LIBRARY privilege.

    According to the NGSSoftware advisory that announced the vulnerability,
    the buffer overflow can be exploited without any authentication or
    privilege-checking.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    thanks -- tbird

    --
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human
    history - with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

                                     -- Mitch Ratliff

    http://www.precision-guesswork.com
    Log Analysis http://www.loganalysis.org
    VPN http://vpn.shmoo.com