Re: question about oracle advisory

From: David Litchfield (davidat_private)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2003 - 05:05:03 PDT

    Hello all,
    In our testing this bug can be exploited without a user ID and password. In
    fact I demonstrated exploit code for this vulnerability at the Blackhat
    Security Breifings in Amsterdam in the May of this year. [Normally I don't
    do such demonstrations unless a patch is available for a problem. Oracle had
    informed me a patch would be available in time, but I think they found some
    regression problems with the patches or something along those lines and were
    unable to release the patch. We initially informed Oracle about this issue
    around the end of September/start of October 2002.]

    So, to put the record straight, as far as NGSSoftware is concerned, this bug
    _can_ be exploited without a user ID and password.

    Oracle customers can either install the patch [Patch matrix available from
    http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/pdf/2003alert57.pdf]
    Alternatively customers can disable external procedure functionality. To do
    this edit the listener.ora file, removing the entries for extproc, and also
    delete the extproc binary which can be found in $ORACLE_HOME/bin

    Thanks,
    David Litchfield
    NGSSoftware Ltd
    http://www.ngssoftware.com/