Re: Another Mac OS X ScreenSaver Security Issue (after Security Update 2003-07-14)

From: Brian Eckman (eckmanat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 13:07:49 PDT

    Gavin Hanover wrote:
    > I don't quite agree. Windows uses control-alt-delete as a security
    > device. It binds those keys as a hotkey in such a way that no other
    > aplication can replace it. This is why it is used at logon; it
    > prevents a user from creating a program that looked like a logon
    > prompt, and could bind the control-alt-delete keys to display a
    > password prompt. (pressing control-alt-delete in any application
    > other than the logon screen would display the "shutdown/logoff/task
    > manager" window, at which point you would know not to enter your
    > password in any prompt)
    > If someone were to find a way to bind to those hotkeys, would you
    > then consider this a security issue with Windows? If so, how is
    > Apple's failure to block kill calls to the screen saver not a
    > security issue?
    >
    > Gavin

    Windows does allow others to bind to those hotkeys. The Novell client is
    a good example. The Novell NDS password can be used to unlock the screen
    saver, without requiring the Windows password to be entered. Obviously
    other programs could bypass the Windows authentication as well.

    Brian
    --
    Brian Eckman
    Security Analyst

    "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who
    understand binary and those who don't."