Re: Another Mac OS X ScreenSaver Security Issue (after Security Update 2003-07-14)

From: Barry Fitzgerald (bkfsecat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 13:06:51 PDT

    MightyE wrote:

    > If anything I'd call this a security consideration of Escape Pod.
    > Perhaps Escape Pod should try to talk to the process it's about to
    > kill, and get its 'permission' for killing, and failing a timely
    > response (2 secs?), drop the program.  ScreenSaverEngine would have to
    > be tailored to respond to such a request.
    >
    > On Linux, doesn't xscreensaver run as root?  Wouldn't this be another
    > option here (I'm admittedly unfamiliar with Mac OS X), preventing
    > Escape Pod from even being capable of terminating the screensaver
    > process?  Or does Escape Pod also run as root?
    >
    > If you ask me, Escape Pod owes it to their users to develop the
    > product in such a way so to not nullify reasonable security measures
    > on the part of the OS, even if that's an option to never terminate
    > processes named ScreenSaverEngine.
    >
    > -MightyE

    You read my mind on this one.  However, one of the complaints I've heard
    about having xscreensaver as a SUID root binary is that an exploitable
    vulnerability (buffer overflow, et al) in the xscreensaver binary could
    allow an attacker even greater elevated priviledges (much worse than
    simply killing ScreenSaverEngine)... a solution to this would be running
    the ScreenSaverEngine SUID some other user (like, oh, maybe
    "screensaver")... and that should stop a usermode program from killing
    the screensaver.  Unless, as you mentioned, that usermode program were
    running as SUID root - in which case I'd have to ask: Why in the name of
    $DEITY are you running a program that can kill any process on the screen
    as root?!?

           -Barry

    p.s. I don't have a Mac OS X system on hand nor do I have access to
    one.  I have no way to test the plausibility of this solution on that
    particular system. :)