Re: Buffer overflow prevention

From: Theo de Raadt (deraadtat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 15:26:39 PDT

    > pros and cons of the two ?
    > i think the comparison should be like "how much more does wOpenBSD lacks
    > compared to PAX ?"
    >
    > he might try to mean whatever but there is one thing obvious which is best
    > known as "rip-off"
    >
    > i think you should read this instead:
    > http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2003-04/1681.html
    >
    > - noir
    >
    > w as in http://stargliders.org/phrack/mmhs.jpg

    I have made it clear many times that W^X inside OpenBSD came into
    being without me even being aware of PAX.

    I may have stumbled past HAL2001 on my way from IETF in London to
    Usenix Security in DC, but I never went to any of the talks there, and
    I do not recall ever talking to anyone about anything in any way like
    W^X.  I spent most of the time talking with European OpenBSD
    developers and Solar Designer, and do not recall any topics about
    protecting the address space ever coming up.  Almost a year later, we
    started working on W^X.  We started on non-i386 machines like the
    sparc and alpha because at the time we could not think of a way of
    doing i386 W^X.

    If we had been aware of PAX as you claim, why would we have thought
    that i386 solutions were impossible?

    There is only one thing I have found the various PAX people to have in
    common; they are very persistant at calling other people liars.  Can
    you people please grow up?