RE: Need help. Proof of concept 100% security.

From: Joyce, MP (Matthew) (M.P.Joyceat_private)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 02:15:19 PDT

    Some issues for these types of systems:

    EFC has to build the behavioural model for each application. For simple
    applications, it may be possible to build the behavioural model in a test
    environment, then use that model in production. However complex applications
    will have behaviour that may be very difficult to capture easily in a test
    environment, unless the test environment is very *very* complete. Therefore
    there may be some building of the behaviour model in a production
    environment. While this is happening, EFC cannot protect the application
    completely as it has no full model yet, but the application may be under
    attack as this is a production environment. So there is the risk of
    successful attacks forming part of the behavioural model.

    Every time a new version is released into production, a new model has to be
    built or the current model modified by aging old behaviours and allowing
    admins to flag deviant behaviour as permissible. So for complex
    applications, the training time may be long, or may require plenty of
    administrative input to mark false positives as permissible.  and rememnber
    there's no protection while the model is being built.

    I built a similar system for Windows apps in '99. It easily captured simple
    behaviours (e.g. winhlp32 or notepad) and with some more effort captured
    more complex behaviours. But big apps such as IIS were constantly generating
    new sequences of system calls and it looks like the learning phase was going
    to be longer than the time between patches to IIS, meaning the system would
    constantly be in learning mode.

    Also you only capture the behaviour used during training. If the sysadmin
    decided one day to use a feature that's never been used before, it generates
    many false positives as the behavioural model doesn't recognise the system
    calls sequences. So the system has to go back into learning mode until the
    new behaviour is learnt, inhibting the protection.

    So some problems still to be solved. But as part of a multi-variable IDS or
    IDP system, these systems will have a part to play.

    I would add to the model learning about what files were accessed in which
    directories, under Windows what registry entries were accessed and how, what
    ports were used and & what IPs were communicated with. So record particular
    parameters used with the syscalls, not just the syscalls themselves. That
    would form a fuller picture of how the app behaved and would reduce the
    false positives from only looking at the system calls.

    Matt