Re: Popular Net anonymity service back-doored

From: Aron Nimzovitch (cryptoat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 14:41:33 PDT

       Mailing-List: contact bugtraq-helpat_private; run by ezmlm
       From: "Thomas C. Greene " <thomas.greeneat_private>

       Leaving a hint in the source and waiting for someone to call them on it may be
       a legal strategem, but it's not a good way of maintaining user
       trust.

    Only a fool would blindly depend on someone else's software to gain
    anonymity without examining the code.  If you need anonymity, then you
    should easily be willing to invest sweat equity, or have a contractual
    arrangement when the threat is only financial.  For more serious
    threats requiring anonymity, not reviewing the source when it is
    available seems beyond stupid.  I could unserstand your ire if you
    were one of our clients, but this was a free service wasn't it?

    FAR