[Full-Disclosure] RE: Popular Net anonymity service back-doored

From: David Schwartz (davidsat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 21 2003 - 17:09:45 PDT

    > Only a fool would blindly depend on someone else's software to gain
    > anonymity without examining the code.  If you need anonymity, then you
    > should easily be willing to invest sweat equity, or have a contractual
    > arrangement when the threat is only financial.  For more serious
    > threats requiring anonymity, not reviewing the source when it is
    > available seems beyond stupid.

    	I'm 100% with you up to now.

    > I could unserstand your ire if you
    > were one of our clients, but this was a free service wasn't it?

    	But now you're teetering on insanity. I get a ride home from a pub, but the
    driver instead of taking me home takes me to a dark alley and beats me to a
    pulp. My ire at the betrayal of trust should be based upon whether and how
    much I paid the driver?!

    	If you think purchased business loyalty is more reliable, and provokes a
    more painful betrayal, than loyalty freely offered out of principled
    devotion to a common cause, you're not in touch with the same reality I am.
    This is a case of betrayal among people who thought they were engaged in a
    common cause of principle.

    	DS

    Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
    Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html