RE: Any leads?

From: Kuo, Jimmy (Jimmy_Kuo@private)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 13:55:08 PDT

    >>No.  He used a hacked acct.  But we identified the exact time of the
    >>use of  the acct (newsgroup posting message ID) and the FBI traced
    >>the phone records.

    >>And the PC was destroyed and never located.

    >>Where did you get your version of the story?

    >Read it in the press.  That was two years ago, so I have no idea which
    >press.  My apologies to all for the inaccurate recording. However, the

    Ah yes, many theories hit the press, including my own that it came from
    Europe.  :-(

    >main thrust still stands: he was caught because he was stupid, and
    >failed to cover his tracks adequately. Working just a little harder
    >would have prevented him from being identified at all.

    True.  But this was the first time, and he did use a hacked acct.  Just
    didn't realize that someone was watching all viral postings to the
    newsgroups.

    >>We have some "first instances" of traffic.  I don't know what the FBI's
    >>doing with the information gathered so far.  But I agree that it's
    >> difficult and not likely.
    >
    >It's been long enough that I would have expected announcements and
    >arrests at this point if they actually had anything.

    And I wish we had more listening posts, able-bodied knowledgeable people who
    would be able to notice what we needed to notice in their logs.

    Like for CodeRedII, a bunch of "first instance" catches pointed to the
    RoadRunner net in VA.  But wasn't able to pick out an "injection."

    Jimmy