Re: Any leads?

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 13:46:44 PDT

    Kuo, Jimmy wrote:

     >>The Melissa author was caught because he posted the infectious document
     >>
     >>from his own AOL account to a news group, rather than releasing it
     >
     >>through a hacked account. His guilt was confirmed when the serial number
     >>in the document matched the PC in the dumpster outside his bedroom :-)
     >>

     >No.  He used a hacked acct.  But we identified the exact time of the
    use of
     >the acct (newsgroup posting message ID) and the FBI traced the phone
     >records.
     >
     >And the PC was destroyed and never located.
     >
     >Where did you get your version of the story?

    Read it in the press.  That was two years ago, so I have no idea which
    press.  My apologies to all for the inaccurate recording. However, the
    main thrust still stands: he was caught because he was stupid, and
    failed to cover his tracks adequately. Working just a little harder
    would have prevented him from being identified at all.

     >We have some "first instances" of traffic.  I don't know what the FBI's
     >doing with the information gathered so far.  But I agree that it's
    difficult
     >and not likely.

    It's been long enough that I would have expected announcements and
    arrests at this point if they actually had anything.

    Thanks for the clarifications.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.