FW: *** Channel Flash - Virus Alert ***

From: EKornber@private
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 09:18:47 PDT

    Did everyone see this?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Channel-Partner [mailto:channel-partner@private]
    Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 6:28 PM
    To: Channel-Partner@private
    Subject: *** Channel Flash - Virus Alert ***

     Channel Flash
    <http://ca.com/mkt_img/email_blast_common/header_channelflash.gif>

    Monday, Sept. 24, 2001 - CA eTrust Security Alert

    Information on the "W32.Vote Virus

    CA's eTrust global antivirus research centers have classified the "W32.Vote
    Virus,  a new mass mailing virus threat, as medium to high risk.  Vote
    arrives as an email with the subject heading: "Peace BeTweeN AmeriCa And
    IsLaM! and a message body: Hi iS iT A waR Against AmeriCa Or IsLaM!? Let's
    Vote to Live in Peace!"  with an attachment named WTC.exe.

    Upon execution the malicious attachment drops a number of text and VBS
    files,  attempts to overwrite html files with a specific text message, and
    modifies the Windows Registry.  Additionally, if the infected computer is
    rebooted, the virus attempts to delete all the files in the Windows
    directory.

    CA issued a  <http://www3.ca.com/Press/PressRelease.asp?id=1765> Virus Alert
    to all CA users about this new threat and to announce that a new signature
    for eTrust InoculateIT has already been released by our eTrust global
    antivirus researchers.

    For More on "W32.Vote" and Access to the Latest Signature Files -
    Visit  <http://ca.com/virusinfo/> CA's Virus Information Center.

    About CA's eTrust Security
    As a leading antivirus vendor - and the #1 provider of security management
    solutions - we want our Channel Partners to understand how Computer
    Associates (CA) can protect businesses from these threats.  This CA eTrust
    Security Alert is intended to provide you with invaluable information on the
    latest security attacks on an on-going basis.

    Call CA's Channel Sales Team Today!
    1-800-243-9462, Option 5

      _____

    To contact the CA Channel Marketing Team email  <mailto:ask_channel@private>
    ask_channels@private You have received the CA Channel Flash because as a CA
    Partner, we believe this content can help you drive your bottom line. If you
    would like us to remove your name from this mail list, please send an email
    to  <mailto:listserv@private> listserv@private with the text
    "SIGNOFF Channel-Partner" in the body of the email and leave the Subject
    field empty.

      <http://ca.com/mkt_img/email_blast_common/footer.gif>