The future of IDS

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 14:05:36 PDT

    Toby, et al

    Great discussion today. It was very good to hear that the issues of
    intrusion detection systems (IDS) are getting out there.

    I did have one question that I did not get a chance to ask (I had to
    leave early), that I thought I'd post to the list for all to respond and
    ponder. Perhaps you talked about this after I left (which I apologize
    then for asking.)

    Where do you - and others - see the IDS market going? I am very curious
    about this out of both capitalistic desires (I want to make $$$ off
    selling the products) but also from a professional standpoint of how to
    get the best IDS bang for the buck.

    For example, although protocol analysis is not a new technology, it
    seems that only recently it has been mated to high profile IDSs like
    SNORT or BlackICE. Are IDS's moving toward more PA? Or do simple
    pattern-recognition technologies still have a place? Or (in the case of
    BlackICE) will it be a hybrid of both.

    Is there something else on the horizon? I've heard this notion of mating
    some advanced artificial intelligence (AI) with IDS - but that seems
    more Star Trek then reality.

    Let's discuss this!

    Andrew Plato

    President / Principal Consultant