RE: mail list concerns

From: Williams, Jaymes (Jaymes.Williams@private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 09:08:41 PDT

    I've also received similar "unsolicited" email and I originally had no idea
    how they obtained my address.  But, after a bit of analysis, it appears that
    free email "vendors," such as Hotmail, appear to be selling their mailing
    lists to "Spammers."

    I have received numerous spam mails of varying types at my Hotmail account.
    The one thing they all have in common is they have approximately a hundred
    or so addresses that are all Hotmail addresses in alphabetical order.

    Hmmm ... how could that be?  How could a large group of hotmail addresses in
    alphabetical order be obtained without the complicity of Hotmail? Yet, if
    you read Hotmail's privacy policy, it explicitly states it will not sell its
    addresses to third parties.

    Here's an excerpt from Hotmail's privacy policy ...

    "... What can I do to manage unsolicited e-mail in my Hotmail account?
    Hotmail will not sell, lease or rent its member lists with any third
    parties."

    Hotmail has instituted an additional folder in its accounts for "Junk Mail."
    Perhaps they think this is an acceptable option that will allow them to sell
    mailing lists.  Hotmail is also Trust-E certified.  Maybe this needs to be
    taken up with Trust-E.

    When I contacted Hotmail about this, their response was detailed directions
    on how to "filter" the mail using the Junk Mail folder and they did not even
    address the apparent privacy policy violation.

    I really don't object to Spam that much, it's not much different than the
    junk you get in your snail mail.  Whatever the laws end up regarding spam,
    they probably should be in some sort of alignment with junk mail.

    But, when I start receiving spam that is clearly in violation of the mail
    provider's privacy policies, or I start receiving porno-spam, it makes me
    mad and it's time to do something about it.

    Have any of you received this type of Spam?  What are some ideas on how to
    handle this?  Obviously, I can cancel the email account ... but, that's only
    running away from the problem and not a real solution.

    Best Regards,
    Jaymes Williams, CISSP
    Security Analyst
    PG&E National Energy Group