Re: NIPC Daily Report, 30 October 2001

From: Alan (alan@private)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 12:44:09 PST

    On Friday 02 November 2001 12:25, Crispin Cowan wrote:
    > Heidi wrote:
    > >It is very apparent from the recent postings, that there is a lot of
    > >frustration going on here.  There are a lot of smart people in this group,
    > >perhaps everyone's energies could be put to better use, by thinking of
    > > ways to better the situations at hand, i.e., ideas for stopping DoS
    > > attacks "before" they reach the intended target,(is this possible? I am
    > > just learning)
    >
    > It is just barely possible. The technology has to be deployed high up in
    > the network infrastructure, e.g. next to backbone routers. Companies
    > developing such technologies include Captus Networks
    > http://www.captusnetworks.com/ (who sponsored the RAID workshop last
    > month http://www.raid-symposium.org/raid2001/ ) and Asta Networks
    > http://www.astanetworks.com/ (founded by Stefan Savage, a friend of mine
    > who did his PhD research at U.Washington in Seattle
    > http://www.astanetworks.com/company/team/stefan.html )

    The next trick is to drop "bad" packets without screwing up future extensions
    to the packet structure. (As has happened with the latest conjestion
    management protocols.)

    > > Yes, they may be taking away nail clippers, but you do have
    > >other more effective ways to defend yourself and help others on the
    > > airplane if you are in a threatened situation. Certainly with the smart
    > > people in our group, there must be some good ideas out there for helping
    > > to improve things.  A side note; we have over 35 million laws trying to
    > > enforce 10 commandments. Heidi
    >
    > I have problems with a bunch of those commandments. Fully half of them
    > are non-portable religion-specific doctrine: I fail to keep the sabath
    > and take the Lord's Name in vain on a regular basis :-)

    Not to mentioned the failed consistancy checks when run through any sort of
    reasonable parser. (But that is the start of a different rant.)

    "Do unto others as they would have do unto them."
    "But what if they are a masochist?"

    > Unless you
    > meant these commandments
    > http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/ten-commandments.html (which by the way are