RE: CRIME Meeting 13 Nov @10am@Verizon

From: Kuo, Jimmy (Jimmy_Kuo@private)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 18:10:57 PST

    Title: July and August, A Peek Into the Future

    Abstract:

    Since Melissa, the general public has come to realize that email
    attachments may not be safe, no matter who sends them to you.
    But, approximately July and August of 2001, the computer malware
    threat took a turn to a more devious and direct threat.
    Traditional virus capabilities have been married to exploits to
    create the likes of CodeRed, Nimda, et. al., that require no
    user action, have no attachments, or infect directly off viewing
    a web page.  You have seen the future.  It is happening now.

    In addition to an indepth look at those particular viruses, we
    will discuss any number of topics in the arena of computer
    viruses that participants wish to bring forth, including defenses,
    The USA/PATRIOT Act, HIPAA, virus writers, ...  Come, and bring
    forth your controversial topics.