RE: fire damage/data recovery

From: JUERGENSEN Douglas (Douglas.Juergensen@private)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 13:22:38 PST

    Heidi,

    I would suggest you first determine a value on the data recovery.  If it is
    low, try whatever you like including freezing (although I don't understand
    how cooling the drive would counteract the fire damage at this point).  If
    the data is critical, contact the manufacture of the drive.  There are also
    independent data recovery experts you could turn to.  The service isn't
    always cheap, but if the data is worth it...

    My experience comes from a fire damaged computer about 10 years ago.  I had
    a computer survive a fire housed in an enclosure.  It was hot enough to melt
    the solder off the boards.  The drive contained financial information
    slightly more up to date then the most recent backup.  I sent the drive off
    for recovery but the initial analysis of the unit was more costly than the
    data on the drive.

    Good Luck -
    Doug Juergensen
    Network Technical Services Manager