Re: Scam

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 15:01:57 PST

    Heidi wrote:

    >John, excuse me for putting the question out on the CRIME list.  Some people
    >did not respond the way you did and were very helpful.  Some of us out here
    >are learning and do not have the experience you do. I am sorry for
    >"clogging" the CRIME list. I had also already acknowledged that I got the
    >message it was a hoax and thanked everyone for their responses and hoped
    >that would stop any further responses. Heidi

    Again, we need a charter. I can't tell whether Heidi's question about
    the Nigerian scam is topical or not:

        * not topical: it is spam, not security. It's been going around for
          years, so it is not news.
        * topical: it is clearly criminal, and it involves computers.  CRIME
          is about computers and law enforcement. Doesn't that bring it in
          scope?

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.