RE: Scam

From: Anonymous (nobody@private)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 13:05:33 PST

    At 11:40 AM 11/6/01 -0800, Heidi wrote:
    >John, excuse me for putting the question out on the CRIME list.  Some people
    >did not respond the way you did and were very helpful.  Some of us out here
    >are learning and do not have the experience you do. I am sorry for
    >"clogging" the CRIME list. I had also already acknowledged that I got the
    >message it was a hoax and thanked everyone for their responses and hoped
    >that would stop any further responses. Heidi

    I can't speak for John or anyone else but, in all honesty Heidi, you ask questions that are
    often marginal and deal with very elementary issues and reflect both ignorance, which is no-
    fault, but also a failure to do any basic research at all, which I have a problem with.

    For example a Google search on "Nigerian fraud" yields the Secret Service on the first page of
    hits: http://www.ustreas.gov/usss/alert419.htm

    The USSS has a database for these frauds and you can either fax them to (202) 406-5031 or e-
    mail them to 419.fcd@private

    On Denial of Service attacks, the first page of Google hits yields Dave Dietrich's page up at
    U.Washington with a huge amount of information including ingress and egress filtering.

    So I would encourage you to try some basic research before you show your ignorance in the
    future and I would encourage the group to respond to any elementary questions with URL's
    instead of a quick summary paragraph and apply the truism, "if you teach a (wo)man to fish."

    IRT anonymous?  Heidi, I believe we've met and I don't feel comfortable criticizing you without
    fear that it will come back to haunt me.