Last Call--CRIME meeting Tomorrow@10@Airtouch

From: George Heuston (geoneve@private)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 11:14:18 PST

    See you there, folks!

    Title: "The Virus Threat: Methods and Mayhem--Wartime Perspectives"

    Speaker(s): Jimmy Kuo is a McAfee Fellow, formerly the Director of
    AntiVirus Research. He has been with McAfee/NAI since 1995. He was
    awarded as one of the Fed 100 honorees in June 2000, for his work on the

    Melissa virus case. Previous seminars and presentations: NISSC,
    FBI-SanFrancisco, CIA-Langley, PCCIP, DoD-CERT, OSU, Stanford, BCIT, ...

    and was a member of the Y2K Task Force.

    Topic: Since Melissa, the general public has come to realize that email
    attachments may not be safe, no matter who sends them to you. But,
    approximately July and August of 2001, the computer malware threat took
    a turn to a more devious and direct threat. Traditional virus
    capabilities have been married to exploits to create the likes of
    CodeRed, Nimda, et. al., that require no user action, have no
    attachments, or infect directly off viewing a web page. You have seen
    the future. It is happening now. In addition to an in-depth look at
    those particular viruses, we will discuss any number of topics in the
    arena of computer viruses that participants wish to touch upon,
    including defenses, the USA/PATRIOT Act, HIPAA, virus writers,  etc.,
    and bring forth your controversial topics!

    C.R.I.M.E. meets every second Tuesday in the Verizon Cellular building,
    Take I-5 South to Carmen Drive. The building is on the West side (Tigard

    side) of the Freeway. The meeting room is in the back of the building.
    The talk begins at 10:00 a.m. The street address is 15575 Sequoia Pkwy,
    Tigard.