Re: CRIME Cybercrime Treaty

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 16:41:14 PST

    David Duncan wrote:

    >Slashdot just posted a blurb and some links regarding the Cybercrime
    >Treaty.

    One of the more interesting follow-up comments on Slashdot observed that
    treaties are not valid in the US unless ratified by the senate, and that
    no treaty can over-ride the constitution
    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=24088&cid=2606113
    <http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=24088&cid=2606113> and that major
    US corporations have financial motive to block this treaty
    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=24088&cid=2606113
    <http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=24088&cid=2606113> Note also that
    the treaty is not "self-executing" and thus requires enabling legislation.

    <http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=24088&cid=2606113>

    >http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/11/23/237208&mode=thread
    >
    >http://www.law.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=law/View&c=Article&cid=ZZZD3WRL5LC&live=true&cst=1&pc=0&pa=0&s=News&ExpIgnore=true&showsummary=0
    >
    >Potential points of interest for the Law Enforcement and Business
    >community (summerized from the law.com link above):

    The law.com article is very good, but a tad over-formatted (didn't
    render well under Mozilla). I had to cut & paste the text to be able to
    read it.

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.