RE: CRIME Kudos to Acting Police Chief Andrew Kirkland

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 13:53:42 PST

    > I was taught in college not to speak metaphorically. More
    > specifically, not to *reason* metaphorically. This is because it is
    all too easy to
    > construct an entirely bogus argument that sounds good. For an
    > analogical argument to be valid, you must (emphasize "must") show that

    > the subject (civil rights) share the property in question (requirement
    for due
    > process) with the analogy (animal rights). Near as I can tell, animal
    > rights does not have any notion of due process, so the above
    > "rattlesnake" argument is a devilishly persuasive load of crap :-)

    Metaphors are fun for writer types like me, but you're correct, Crispin.
    Its a faulty way to argue.

    I just wanted to talk about puppies. Can we talk about puppies now? :-D

    Seriously, this is an interesting issue and the opinions expressed on
    all sides are very compelling. But, I agree with those that say this
    should go off the CRIME list. We should stick to talking about security
    issues on this list. I think we're straying into a realm of
    counterproductive flame-wars.

    Andrew Plato
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation