Crispin on Badtrans.B, was: REMOVE FROM CRIME LIST

From: Kuo, Jimmy (Jimmy_Kuo@private)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 18:25:16 PST

    >I've received about three copies of that new virus (I forget
    >the name)

    Badtrans.B

    >in the last 24 hours. No impact on me (Linux mail client) but
    >one of our business guys got bit. Anyone else getting hammered?

    It's basically a "home-user" scenario right now.  Corporates are much better
    at keeping up to date (and if they used us, any DAT within the last month
    would have stopped it).  And with the virus coming out over Thanksgiving
    holidays, any other corporate entity would have gotten in the office and
    updated their data files.

    But in the home arena, people update much less frequently (and if they used
    us, they would have needed a particular setting of scanning compressed
    files, which is not the default) or don't even have AV at all, and were
    mostly home when the virus came out and didn't have the communications
    medium as available at the office to know that there was a virus rampant,
    and thus the home arena got much more infected.

    So, the more "hobby" mailing lists you belong to, the more likely you'll be
    seeing these messages with viruses, as responses to messages you may have
    posted to those hobby mailing lists.

    I myself got one.

    Jimmy