Re: Proposed CRIME List Charter

From: Ben Barrett (barrett@private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 14:22:14 PST

    I concur -- I think it is great to have standard references for major
    topics (we could put them in a FAQ), and to always be able to ask
    extended discussions on those topics to defer to other lists,
    but they shoudl *not* be 'off-topic' here.  I think we are also here to
    help raise the status quo of security practices, and to defeat the
    taken-for-granted bad habits and misguided assumptions that all too
    often propigate.  I also vote for a 'closed' list, allowing for
    submission only from subscribers, but think a web-submission front-end
    would be helpful for newcomers to get help with... these could be
    approved by any of our potential quasi-moderators, who are attentive to
    the list and on-line a lot.  The job would entail accepting the
    occasional web-submitted message, and also watching out for any
    email-bombings (c-squad just had a bad one from a vacation mailer) or
    even a bad subscriber...
    I thought the list was closed already, when we signed the infraguard
    sign-up that was my take.
    Anywhoo, I'd be happy to help keep watch for the good of the list  ;-)
    I also watch some securityfocus.com lists, c-squad, and some linux
    user-group lists...