Re: CRIME hacked web server question

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 12:32:04 PST

    Unless you have an expert in security forensics, I would recomend that
    you fdisk that machine and restore from backup. Unless you were running
    something like tripwire and have a complete picture of the machine in a
    known-clean state, you have no way of knowing what back doors and
    trojans the attacker may have installed.

    And while you're fdisk'ing, dump IIS/Windows and get a real OS ;-)  Yes,
    I understand the business reasons why people choose to use windows. I
    also understand that most of the people who make those high level
    decisions aren't really aware of the hidden costs they impose on
    themselves when they do that.

    Crispin

    --
    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.