Re: CRIME FW: NIPC Daily Report 11 January 2002

From: Seth Arnold (sarnold@private)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 17:51:14 PST

    On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 09:16:29AM -0800, Alan wrote:
    > > New security vulnerability affects Linux.  The "A Linux Intrusion
    > > Detection System" security patch for the Linux kernel reportedly creates
    > > a security vulnerability.  Exploitation is easy and local users may be
    > > able to gain unrestricted root privileges.  (SecuriTeam.com, 10 JAN 02)
    >
    > *Which* intrusion detection patch?  That covers a number of projects.

    LIDS. Linux Intrusion Detection System. (The fun part is, last I
    checked, they had ditched their IDS approach to provide something more
    like traditional MAC. :)

    > That is like saying "A common Windows DLL may cause a problem".  It does not
    > tell you what you need to know.  (I know. A bad example.)

    Yeah. Talk about poor project naming. :)

    --
    Find out why the United States jailed a Russian citizen over a lecture:
    http://www.anti-dmca.com/