Re: CRIME FW: NIPC Daily Report 11 January 2002

From: Wil Cooley (wcooley@private)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 19:49:06 PST

    Also Sprach Seth Arnold <sarnold@private>:
    > On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 09:16:29AM -0800, Alan wrote:
    > > > New security vulnerability affects Linux.  The "A Linux Intrusion
    > > > Detection System" security patch for the Linux kernel reportedly creates
    > > > a security vulnerability.  Exploitation is easy and local users may be
    > > > able to gain unrestricted root privileges.  (SecuriTeam.com, 10 JAN 02)
    > >
    > > *Which* intrusion detection patch?  That covers a number of projects.
    >
    > LIDS. Linux Intrusion Detection System. (The fun part is, last I
    > checked, they had ditched their IDS approach to provide something more
    > like traditional MAC. :)
    >
    > > That is like saying "A common Windows DLL may cause a problem".  It does not
    > > tell you what you need to know.  (I know. A bad example.)
    >
    > Yeah. Talk about poor project naming. :)

    Yeah yeah yeah.  But unlike *someone else's* MAC system,
    it's open source. *cough* ;)

    Wil
    --
    W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@private
    irc.linux.com                             #orlug,#pdxlug,#lnxs

    ink, n.:
    	A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic,
    	and water, chiefly used to facilitate the infection of
    	idiocy and promote intellectual crime.
    		-- H.L. Mencken