RE: CRIME Perspective on Criticisms leveled at Microsoft

From: Andrew Plato (aplato@private)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 15:13:48 PDT

    Crispin Cowen wrote:

    > Begging to differ, but yes they are the great Satan :)
    > Microsoft has been systematically holding back the
    > trailing edge of technology for 20 years. Apart from
    > their systems being generally dreadful, and their
    > marketing practices outright illegal on many grounds,
    > their security is especially bad.

    I think Rob's point, one that I find very compelling, is that MS
    products were not designed or marketed to hardcore geeks. They were
    designed for mass-market consumption.

    Yes, out of the box, a default installation, Windows security sucks. But
    honestly, there are a lot of ways to slice and dice Windows machines.
    With a modest amount of hardening, you can turn an NT/2000 box into a
    very secure machine. I've written a paper on this. Its not impossible,
    but it isn't something many people know how to do.

    Thus the problem...many IT departments do not have the staff, education,
    experience, or resources to do this properly. The race to get a computer
    on everybody's desk has taken a back seat to securing those systems.
    I've been inside a lot of firms right here in Portland. And as much as
    they care about security, the fact is there is only so much one or two
    IT guys can do in a day. Many IT folks are working 90 hour weeks as is.
    Asking them to suddenly become experts in security and transform their
    entire environment into super-hardened UNIX boxes is simply not going to
    happen.

    > The mail client (Outlook) trusts scripts
    > attached to incoming mail . This is the most
    > dangerous way in which viruses propagate.
    > The #1 biggest thing you can do to secure your
    > company is to mandate that no one can use
    > Outlook as a mail client. Choose any other
    > mail client, it doesn't matter which one:
    > they are all more secure than Outlook.

    That is easy for hardcore nerds like us who can handle new software with
    ease. But for the average joe who does not understand computers very
    well, asking them to use an unfamiliar program is a massive problem. It
    would cause immediate and painful productivity problems for companies.

    I like to think of this as the "Mom" problem. My mom is a very
    intelligent, well-educated person. But she is not a computer person. She
    knows Outlook, IE, Word, a few basic programs and they allow her to be
    very productive and surf the web, buy stuff on E-Bay, send out letters,
    etc.

    If I sat my mom in front of a UNIX box she would scream in horror. It
    would take her months to re-learn everything. Well, most organizations
    have a lot of "moms" working in them and therefore they simply cannot
    just "throw away" their existing infrastructure because it has a few (or
    even a lot) of security holes. They must adapt that infrastructure to
    fit the needs of their users. That means patching holes as best they can
    and implementing systems to detect and catch attempts to exploit those
    holes.

    > I'm not sure what Robert Graham has ben
    > smoking; he's not normally this silly.
    > He's essentially advising you to
    > systematically do exactly the wrong
    > thing everywhere.

    No, he is taking a middle ground between practicality and security. As a
    person who has the inglorious job of actually making security systems
    work in corporate environments, Rob's comments are very true. Many
    organizations simply are not prepared to become a Fort Knox of computing
    security. They simply do not have the resources to devote to security.

    I think it is encouraging that many companies are beginning to take
    security seriously. But the road to security is long, complex, and
    sometimes expensive. It will not happen overnight regardless of how many
    brilliant theories and methodologies the security community devises.

    > Yes its true that security is at odds with
    > convenience: it must be, because it is the
    > business of saying "no" sometimes, so it
    > is necessarily less convenient. Good
    > security design (the Principle of
    > Psychological Acceptability) accounts
    > for this, and works hard to make sure
    > that legitimate users see the "no" answer
    > as rarely as possible. What Graham is
    > suggesting is to throw up your hands and
    > just disable security because it is too
    > annoying. If you follow that advice,
    > you will deserve what you get.

    I don't see that as what Graham said at all. In fact I challenge you to
    point out where you feel Graham is saying that.

    What Graham does say, and I whole-heartedly support as a greedy
    capitalist pig, is that the market must decide what is appropriate. And
    I would say the market has already decided: people want Microsoft
    products.

    Furthermore, I can speak from direct experience that security is a
    complex problem that is best handled with practical solutions that
    carefully weigh cost and risk reduction. Sometimes, the cost of reducing
    risk is simply prohibitively too high for some organizations. I have
    numerous customers that simply cannot afford the price of expensive
    commercial products or the time to learn and implement open-source
    products. Therefore, they have to settle for some practical,
    "in-between" type solutions.

    The simple fact is, the markets are deciding what is important. And that
    has some security people upset. But in my experience, the free-market is
    much better at deciding the fate of than centrally controlled
    organizations.

    Andrew Plato
    President / Principal Consultant
    Anitian Corporation