Re: CRIME Perspective on Criticisms leveled at Microsoft

From: Jere Retzer (retzerj@private)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 14:06:36 PDT

    Seems like everyone is going to philosophize so I might as well join:

    1) Security holes are proportional to bugs is proportional to lines of code -- Win 2000 is what--30 million lines?
    2) Microsoft philosophy of embrace, extend, 3rd party developers makes it inherently easy to hack
    3) Win is so large and complex now it will never be secure
    4) Exponential growth in infrastructure attacks and net criticality demand controlled, accountable access

    IMHO, we need to look ahead to the time of always-on, always-reliable networks with minimalist client operating systems (ie, a simple browser), services hosted on secure servers not user machines, a reinvented 'sandbox' along the lines planned with Java, and controlled/accountable access to the Internet.