Re: CRIME Perspective on Criticisms leveled at Microsoft

From: Toby (toby@private)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 16:53:32 PDT

    I'm going to point out something that Crispin has been too polite
    (appropriately so) to state- When I load Immunix, it is to a very
    reasonable degree, secure. And I can very easily complete the process.
    The one thing they could make easier is the creation of subdomain
    configurations.
    There is a reason why I recommend it to my customers as an excellent
    distribution and why Counterpane among others is using it as the basis
    for their log collection appliances- It is an excellent platform for
    those who are too busy or lazy to keep up with all the constant patching
    that is generally needed. You are protected against the majority of
    buffer overflows and if a daemon is cracked, if you've got subdomain
    running it won't do them much good.

    Security can be done well. The .NET version of IIS starts down the right
    approach of not installing anything but the most basic functions as
    default.

    Toby