Re: CRIME RE: Report: Al Qaeda e-mail warns of attack

From: Wil Cooley (wcooley@private)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 17:23:46 PDT

    Also Sprach George Heuston <GeorgeH@private> on Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 03:43:27PM PDT
    > Jaymes,
    >
    > The Al Qaeda possess extensive disinformation skills, which translate into
    > routine and continuing generalized threats of attack, coupled with
    > dribble-out reports of 'Osama sightings,' and claims that the US has
    > sustained major casualties in X battle, in X location.  These generalized
    > threats are self-validating, because we are in a war, which by definition
    > means more violence.  They just don't say when or where the violence will
    > occur. They don't even need to know when or where.  All they need to do is
    > broadcast it.  Bottom line: this is normal expected wartime 'noise level'
    > traffic. Get accustomed to these things, because we will be living in a
    > war-fighting environment for a long time to come. And even if the war is
    > declared over, and all the explosives and guns and killing mechanisms are
    > rounded up and contained, there will always be someone out there armed with
    > a modem or radio, saying that the war is not over, that Osama is alive and
    > well, and that he just celebrated his 150th birthday.

    Which reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask you about,
    since it sounds an awful lot like the vague warnings the FBI has
    announced in the last few months.  What is the purpose of these?
    They give no real information about what to look for or where to
    look for it, so it seems just like crying wolf.

    Wil
    --
    W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley@private
    irc.linux.com                                     #orlug,#lnxs

    "I go on working for the same reason a hen goes on laying eggs."
    - H. L. Mencken