Re: CRIME Perspective on Criticisms leveled at Microsoft

From: Toby (toby@private)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 14:31:50 PDT

    Andrew Plato writes:

    > > If there is one thing to learn from the CRIME list, it's that computer
    > > security security people are a cynical, skeptical (probably even bitter
    > > :-)) bunch. It's our job to be skeptical, to find the many flaws and
    > > assume the worst of whatever we're looking at.
    >
    > I find this to be a very incomplete view of the security industry. I consider myself part of the security industry but I do not see myself as a cynical, skeptical, or bitter person when it comes to my work. I think this is a problem in some regards with security people. They are so consumed with finding faults, they forget (or ignore) methods to patch or repair those faults.

    Andrew, that's just cause you don't know what people are saying behind your
    back. I used to be happy and optimistic until I became enlightened. Now I
    know all the things people(Zot & George) say about me behind my back and
    those happy days are gone. ;)
    Honestly, finding security faults is a major piece but the problem is we
    end up cynical and skeptical after spending waaaaay too much time patching
    and repairing things that weren't designed right in the first place.

    I am OS-agnostic. I'll use whatever is best or whatever is available if I
    have to. That said, I have found it is easier to lock down some systems
    than others and personally, I don't even bother using Outlook for certain
    lists that get lots of hostile traffic because I have no good way of
    securing it. It was poorly designed and implemented when it comes to
    security. You cannot argue that point (well, you could but you'd be wrong)

    As to hardening Win2K. It is certainly easier than previous MS products.
    But answer me this- is it easier to shut off services or limit services for
    NFS via one of the many GUIs that are available or is it easier to go into
    the registry and find the setting that will actually allow you to kill the
    administrative & IPC shares on every MS system?

    > I see my role as a person who has to actually patch up those holes. And that is a very different perspective than the academics and pundits who want to terrify people into action. Spreading FUD may be fun and emotionally satisfying, but it isn't very productive. Somebody, like me has to help people patch those holes. And scaring people with "Microsoft is bad, you're an idiot for using it," rhetoric may help fan the flames of anti-Microsoft sentiment, but it isn't really practical for IT managers who then have to return to their office and confront 500 Windows machines.

    It isn't about spreading FUD. It is about telling the truth about products
    and not sugar-coating it. Fuck "right-sizing" a company, tell people they
    are being laid off. This attitude of sunshine and light is silly. We've
    gone from reviewing the good vs. bad things about something, to talking
    about "plusses and minuses" to talking about "plusses and challenges for
    next time". Scaring people unnecessarily is bad, you are right. Telling
    people that it is okay to run through a warzone painted bright red and
    wearing a bullet proof vest that won't actually stop a paintball is NOT.
    Spreading FUD is not satisfying to most people, personally I get REALLY
    FUCKING SICK AND TIRED OF HAVING TO EXPLAIN THIS TO PEOPLE OVER AND OVER
    AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.
    Microsoft has a miserable, horrible history when it comes to many many
    things. Security is just one of them. It happens to be one that they seem
    to be trying to make some level of improvements to. We'll see if they do
    better.

    > I think the fact that Graham designed an intrusion detection product (BlackICE now the core technology in ISS's RealSecure) is demonstrative of his commitment to building solutions that are neither a nuisance or an inconvenience. In fact, I would argue (although I have a rather obvious bias here) that Mr. Graham's technologies are some of the least intrusive security products that still deliver outstanding capabilities.

    Rob writes some very good stuff (stop calling him "Graham" dammit! He has a
    name and he isn't in the military). That is not what Crispin or anyone else
    has said. Crispin said the article misses the point.

    Toby